Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pay For My Damn Taco, Part Duex!

I kept my fingers crossed anxiously waiting to see if he would pay for my taco, but instead this cheap fool pulled out $4, just enough for his taco. He didn't even leave money for a tip! I merely laughed and paid for my taco plus extra for the tip he failed to provide.

Ready to throw in the towel and admit Cheapo was a bad pick, I mentally scrolled through my list of friends on my reserve bench for a Saturday night replacement. Then to my surprise he suggested we grab a drink at the bar next door. I figured why not, I definitely needed a drink and maybe some liquor would loosen him up. As we walked to the bar we noticed two people waiting on line to get inside.

He looked annoyed and said, "Maybe L.A. has spoiled me, but I am not waiting on any line to get inside a bar."

What I didn't mention to our cheap and now obnoxious friend is that I know both the manager and bouncer of the bar. There was no way we were going to wait on a line.

However, having had just about enough of him for one night. I shrugged and merely said, "No worries. It's getting late and I should really get home."

Translation: Um no, it's 11pm on a Saturday night and I would rather hang, but not with you.

Since we both live uptown he insisted on riding the train back with me. I couldn’t believe this guy still wanted to spend time with me. Did he really think this date was going well? Too confused and fed up to figure him out; I agreed to ride the train together. The trip uptown was surprisingly really nice. We talked for another hour and chemistry began flowin’ again. I couldn’t understand why our first date was such a flop. Before we arrived at his train stop he asked to see me again. I explained my schedule was really hectic. He insisted there was no pressure and he would work around my schedule.

Hmmm, now this is interesting. Here's a pretty decent guy who really likes me. Yeah maybe a bit cheap, but he is trying hard to get to know me. How often does this happen? I’m normally the one chasing some flakey dude, who “really likes me”, but never seems to commit to a date. Maybe I judged him too quickly. Maybe he’s a bad first dater or maybe his last girl was a gold digger. All these maybes convinced me to give Cheapo another chance.

He sent me a text that evening thanking me for a great night and asking to see me the next day. I wouldn't commit to making plans because, well, frankly I didn't want to. Sundays are my selfish days. I spend Sundays running, reading, watching football, maybe some laundry or just catching up on life.

I replied, “Oh, I would love to, but I need to play it by ear. My day is pretty hectic. I need to get up really early for a run, do laundry and then study.” I promised to keep him updated.

He responded, “No pressure. I’m pretty free. I just want to spend more time with you.”

The next day I woke up around noon. Never went for that run, didn’t do my laundry and finally motivated to study at 5:00pm. Yeah, this was a clear sign I wasn’t into this guy. I rather do absolutely nothing than spend time with him.

By the early evening he called twice asking to meet up for a drink. And after five hours of studying analogies and antonyms I definitely deserved one. I took him up on his offer; met him at a near by wine bar and talked for hours! I had such a good time.

That evening he asked me out on a third date to watch Purple Rain at Hudson River Park that coming Wednesday. Psyched about the prospect of seeing Prince with his white ruffled shirt and purple suite back on the big screen; I jumped at the opportunity and said yes. I went home that night feeling a lot better about this guy. Smart, cute, secure enough in his manhood to admit he loves Purple Rain, and yes, he paid for my drink.

Over the next two days he was persistent about spending as much time with me possible. Unfortunately work, running and class left me exhausted during the week. It was 10:30pm when I got home from class on Tuesday, and I was beyond tired. When he called to “check in” I apologized, and explained I was too tired to meet up. He said he understood, but I could tell he was disappointed and a bit annoyed.

I felt bad and said, “But I’m really excited about watching Purple Rain tomorrow!”

He tried to sound indifferent and said, “Well yeah, just keep me posted tomorrow incase you get tired or something…..”

When I realized he was being passive aggressive I gave the phone a perplexed look, became real tight and said, “Hold up! We never agreed to go out these past two days. I told you I was busy, and I would keep you posted on my availability. I did, and I wasn’t available. I DID agree to go out on Wednesday and that hasn’t changed.”

He gave a forced chuckle and said, “Oh, I was just kidding.”

Aggravated and tired, I simply said, “Yeah, ok. Listen it’s late. I’ll call you tomorrow.”

What will Cheapo have in store for our third date? Stay tuned for part III of Pay for My Damn Taco.

4 comments:

La Brujita said...

D-I-A-BL-O. I can't even deal with this. Wepa. It was worth the wait but I'm sorry that things turned out the way they did. Now, I don't know much about this, but is he bipolar or has selective amnesia? Perhaps just completely and totally oblivious to the world around him??

I think this reaffirms conventional city wisdom,...don't give your number out on the train AND if you do, make it a one-nighter and save yourself from grief. LOL.

Marielis said...

I love how this blog is soooo Carrie from Sex and the City.. And yeah I'm happy you dropped that loser. Can't wait for the next installment.. :-)

La Brujita said...

And another thing, he called you PYT??? How cheese!!! How old is this guy? PYT??? It just sounds so dirty knowing what MJ is really all about... :(

Jessica Rodriguez said...

oh sigh.....i had to wait to comment after reading both installments. W.T.F. es que, were the two of you on the same date? maybe he thought you were the chick he was blinging with on his berry? yes,that has to be it! all i can say is stranjey for letting that lame bird go and i can't wait to hear about date number one w/the new dude. anything and i stress and repeat "anything" will be better than THAT cornball.

Subscribe to My Blog!

Cause I Have Things to Say